The Museums

Museums in Fredrikstad and Hvaler documents the history of Fredrikstad and Hvaler from prehistoric to modern times. These museums is a must-see on any visitor’s trip to the city of Fredrikstad and the Hvaler archipelago.

All photography provided by Hvaler Photos

The mansion: Elingaard Herregård

Museums in the Old Town:

Fredrikstad Museum. The museum displays the city's and the region's history in the Tøihuset, the old military storage. In this grand building the museum has a playroom for the youngest children. If you only have time to visit one museum during your stay in Fredrikstad, this is the museum to visit.


 

The Whaling Museum (Hvalfangstmuseet) in the Old Town hides many treasures. Among them are the whalers' own stories. Real whalers are in fact guides and guards here at the probably least known museum in Fredrikstad. The museum itself is no bigger than a garage, but the space is well utilized, the walls are covered with pictures from floor to ceiling, and tools used for whaling are scattered around the room.

Hvalfangst

Photo: Gamlebyen Modelljernbanesenter

Photo: Gamlebyen Modelljernbanesenter

The Old Town Model Railway Center (Gamlebyen Modelljernbanesenter). Scanidinavia's largest model railway center is located in the Old Town. It is not exactly a museum, but it is a must to visit if you are in Fredrikstad. The center has about 3,700 meters of rails, 3,147 buildings, 100 locomotives and 600 railway cars. All of it is located in an exciting landscape, which includes both urban and rural areas, as well as some mountains and waterfalls run by small pumps. This is definitely a must see!


 

You can find other exciting museums outside the Old Town’s moats:

 

The Kongsten Fortress is located approx. 400 meters east of the Old Town, where it towers majestically on the hill called Galgeberget (Gallow's Rock). The fortress is one of Fredrikstad Fortress' advanced fortifications. The fortress was built during the years 1682-1685. The fortress is ideal for adventures within an historical framework. The fortress has two large rooms suitable for conferences, dinners and events. LEARN MORE ABOUT KONGSTEN --->

 

 

Isegran and the Mines Storage. The maritime exhibition "Hvite seil og salt sjø" (White Sails and Salt Sea) is displayed in the Mines Storage by Fredrikstad Museum. The museums tells of Bjarne Aas, who was the boat constructor who built his regatta boats at Isegran. We also show a rich variety of artifacts and photographs of shipping, navigation and fishing.

 

Learn more about Isegran --->

Isegran


Fotballmuseet avd. Fredrikstad (The Soccer Museum, Fredrikstad dept.) covers the Norwegian soccer history and is located in completely correct settings at Nye Fredrikstad Stadion (New Fredrikstad Stadium). Visitorsare invited into the exhibition "Ballen går" (The Ball Goes), which provides an insight into the cultural history of the soccer sport.

 

Fotballmuseet avd. Fredrikstad |   Gjensidige-tribunen Inng. 7 Fredrikstad Stadion
Tlf.47977795  | E-post:  fotballmuseetf@gmail.com


Elingaard Manor is undoubtedly one of Østfold's most exciting attractions to visit during the summer. Elingaard is a magnificent mansion with a wonderfully landscaped garden, nature and heritage paths with a croft, mill pond and many ghosts!

Elingaard Herregård

                                                                                               Address: Elingaardsvn. 33 1621 Gressvik    Tel  69 95 85 00

 

Elingaard is one of Østfold's oldest hereditary seat farms. The property was a center of power from the beginning of the Middle Ages, but archaeological  excavations indicate activity dating back to the Viking era. In the area around Elingaard there are relics like petroglyphs and burial mounds from  prehistoric times. The Heftor family, the country's leading family at that time, owned Elingaard from the early 1300's. This genus was related to King Håkon 5. Magnusson, the last king of the Sverre family. The descendants owned the farm for 400 years, until 1778, when Valentin Huitfeldt went bankrupt and had to sell. Elingaard was then one of the county's largest properties. Several noble families have owned this farm.

The main building from 1749 is preserved and the farm is still in full operation. Elingaard had its heyday in the 1600's. The fortress with  bastions and moats was built at that time. Elingaard is now a museum with function rooms, rooms for accomodation and for dinners. The romantic and rustic style, and the green and tranquil surroundings, makes the place perfect for celebrating life's big days, for organizing various events and for conferences and seminars. Fredrikstad Museum has managed Elingaard since 1994. Elingaard s located in Onsøy, along Route 116 between Råde and Fredrikstad.



Museums in the Hvaler Archipelago

Hvaler Coastal Museum  is a permanent exhibition exploring the importance of Hvaler's maritime heritage and is the only museum in Østfold focusing on coastal culture. The museum is located at Nordgården, Dypedal on Spjærøy, Hvaler. 

Up until the 1800’s, agriculture and fishing were the main industries on Hvaler. Soon after the stone cutting industry arrived. What kind of impact did this industry have on the Hvaler islanders? Find out more about the fisherman, the stonecutter or just take a walk in the beautiful garden filled with apple, pear and plum trees.

 

Kystmuseet Hvaler

 

Adresse:

Dypedalsveien 37
1684 Vesterøy

Tel: 69 11 56 50 
Email:Kystmuseet@ostfoldmuseene.no


Frøkengården got its name by four sisters who were the last to live here on the farm. Since the 1700s, the house has partly been inhabited by a priest, owners, skippers, fishermen and owners of agricultural farms. The priest Christian Nielsen Barfod bought the farm in 1786. He has many descendants, and several of them own houses and land on Orcas today. Frøkengården today is part of Hvaler cultural history. The house has a rich contents that are well preserved. The place tells us about how wealthy people on the Hvaler islands lived around the year 1900, and about agriculture, forestry and coastal culture. Frøkengården was transferred to the Vitenskapsakademiet (Academy of Science) in 1987.